CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Oct 20 04:11:37 PDT 2000

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Marshall Clow wrote:

>So these people are entitled to something for nothing?
>(or in this case, $1500 of treatment for $1000 of premiums)?
>
>Why?

Because keeping people operable longer makes for net savings for the
society? This perhaps isn't a reason for *private* companies to issue
insurance fairly, but is a clear incentive to the society to nevertheless
maintain a public health insurance infrastructure. Following the same line
of reasoning, it is beneficial for the society as a whole (whether through
the government or through concerted action of individuals) to pressure any
insurer to comply with this general goal. I think this can be accomplished
without the Men with Guns as well.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university