CDR: Revolutionary toll: (was: "judges needing killing...")

jim bell jimdbell at home.com
Fri Oct 20 00:44:59 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Tim May <tcmay at got.net>>
> Note: I did not originate the title of this thread. I mention this
> because Certain Prosecutors have taken such things out of context and
> produced them in court documents as evidence that someone is planning
> to kill some judge, and as grounds for publishing the Social Security
> Numbers and home addresses of certain persons. I'd sue these
> criminals, except there would be no point. Hundreds of thousands in
> expenses, and in their rigged court rooms. Better to plot vengeance
> in other ways.

deletia

> As for the title of this thread, a lot more than some judges need to
> be dealt with. Some prosecutors, some Marshal's Service folks, some
> cops. Hundreds of thousands, overall.

The population of Revolutionary France (1793) was about 25 million.  The
death toll from The Terror, as I vaguely recall from reading it years ago,
was about 19,000.  Or, about 0.075% of the population, which is actually
quite small when you think about it.  The population of the US today is
about 260 million.  An equivalent per-capita death rate today would be
200,000 people:  This is, as I recall, substantially less than the number of
people who die early each year due to either alcoholism or tobacco-related
diseases.

It's probably not coincidence that the selective removal of 200,000 today
would likely "do the job", despite the vast difference in today's society
and 18th century France.

Jim Bell