CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

petro petro at bounty.org
Fri Oct 20 01:23:32 PDT 2000

>Most insurance companies are worth millions, if not billions, of
>dollars, and they make huge profits.  Insuring all of the people that
>they now deny based on genetic abnormalities would still allow them to
>make decent profits.

	So? Where is it mandated that they cover those?

	In fact, display proof that they *DON'T*.

	Most children--which is where genetic "abnormalities" show
up--are covered often sight unseen through their parents policies,
and often before they are even conceived.

>Also, people cannot simply create insurance companies.  Breaking into
>the healthcare business is damn near impossible, unless you have
>established relationships inside the industry.

	No, you have to have (a) big chunks of assets, and (b) follow
some *EXTREMELY* thick government rules.

	It's the government stupid.

>And many people are denied coverage outright, therefore removing the
>possibility of simply paying for their coverage.

	Huh?

	How does denial of coverage prevent them from paying?

	Oh, you must not have meant what you wrote.

	You must have meant "many people who are denied coverage are
denied treatment since they don't have health care".

	Guess why? Government again. If I have a health care bill,
and pay even a *TINY* bit on it--like $10 a month, the creditor
cannot file negative reports against me, cannot come after me legally
etc. even if I owed 20k in medical bills. (you do the math on how
long it takes to pay off 20k at $10 a month). Therefore, the
hospitals know that for anything less than life threatening
treatment, it's a losing battle to provide treatment to those without
the demonstrated means to pay.

	Medicine is not a commodity, but it's *still* a business. It has to be.
--
Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government