CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

petro petro at bounty.org
Fri Oct 20 01:15:55 PDT 2000

>Tim May wrote:
>>
>>  At 11:38 PM -0400 10/18/00, Steve Furlong wrote:
>>  >At most, an insurance company would have some information Bob didn't
>>  >have. Bob could reasonably demand a copy of the results of his DNA test.
>>  >If the insurance company refused, he could shop elsewhere. Or
>>  >self-insure, as many of us choose to do.
>>
>>  Indeed. But let's drop the use of the word "demand." I was taught
>>  that a "demand" is a "demand," not a request.
>
>Yep, I wrote carelessly. I _said_ "demand" but I _meant_ that Bob would
>refuse to deal with the insurance company unless they share what they

	Anybody who would take such a test (assuming that it wasn't
from "skin flakes left behind on the couch") without being able to
see the results as a pre-condition would be lucky not to get what
they disserved.

>find. And I'm not so confident that the insurance company would be
>paying for the test, as you suggested in your (snipped) scenario. I have
>no experience with insurance plans which required you to get a physical
>before they take you on; I've always had HMOs (or self insurance) since
>I left the military. Who normally paid for the exams?

	For at least some plans, they send a nurse-like person around
with a stethoscope and a sphygmomanometer to give you a health
questionnaire and take certain vitals. It's amazing what can be
inferred from some very basic measurements. i.e. you're 27, have high
blood pressure, a high pulse rate, high respiration rate, are 5'9 and
weigh over 200 pounds. I don't need to know all that much about your
family medical history, or your individual one. You are a big risk
for some *very* expensive treatments over the next 20 years, but will
probably be fine for the next 5.

	I really think that DNA testing for insurance is being
overblown--I don't believe that it's going to catch all that much
that family history, and there are a *LOT* more environmental factors
that lead to health problems.

--
Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government