CDR: Re: Stop spam!

petro petro at bounty.org
Fri Oct 20 00:44:59 PDT 2000

>>  >Come on, lighten up.  The guy's receiving spam, and like most people,
>>  >he gets pissed about it.  So he sends a nasty email to the address in
>>  >the From: line of the spams.  Can you blame him?
>>
>>  	He's not getting  spam. He's been subscribed to the
>>  cypherpunks list by someone.
>>

>OK.  Still, he's getting unwanted email, and it's not his fault (I assume).
>
>>  	And yes, I can blame him for being clueless.
>
>Clueless how?  Because he hadn't heard of the cypherpunks list?  Or is
>there some other reason he's clueless?

	The Cypherpunks list is a mailing list. There is a very small
variation in the ways one gets on and off mailing lists.

	If he doesn't realize he's on a mailing list, that is cluelessness.

	If he *does* realize this, he should be able to figure out
relatively quickly how to get off the mailing list. That he can't is
cluelessness.

	He is calling it spam. It is not spam. That is cluelessness.

	He is threatening people. People he doesn't know. That is
clueless in a dangerous way.

	You are defending an ignoramus. That is also clueless.
--
Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government