CDR: Re: I created the "Al Gore created the Internet" story

petro petro at bounty.org
Fri Oct 20 00:30:47 PDT 2000

<...>
>Usenet and mailing lists were usable by the cognoscenti from the
>mid-80s up to the "modern age." Using gopher and Archie and
>anonymous ftp was for the cognoscenti only, though. Not much fun for
>ordinary folks.
>
>This obviously all changed around 1994, with Mosaic/Netscape. "Point
>and click" cleared the way. The illusion of "going to" a site (URLs)
>did the trick.
>
>Faster computers weren't important, in my view. Better screens were
>only slightly important. Modem speeds were more important.

	I'd say the most important thing was content.

	The content that existed pre-94/95 was only interesting to
those who liked their amusements with something vaguely resembling
"intellectual" content, or the computer "cognoscenti".
Mosaic/Nutscrape changed that.
--
Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government