CDR: Re: Reading list

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Oct 19 23:38:02 PDT 2000

At 9:23 PM -0400 10/19/00, Me wrote:
>From: "Tim May" <tcmay at got.net>
>>  Indeed. We used to have the reasonable expectation that nearly
>>  everyone on the list had some familiarity with the "classics."
>For
>>  example... Vinge's "True Names."
>
>True Names and the Opening of the Cyberspace Frontier:
>A study of True Names, Vernor Vinge's critically acclaimed
>novella that invented the concept of cyberspace, features that
>complete text of the novella, as well as articles by Richard
>Stallman, John Markoff, Hans Moravec, Patricia Maes, Timothy May,
>and others.
>
>(cough cough)royalties(cough cough cough)

Royalties? Not even an up-front fee. Nothing.

(Not that I care about such things...)

The editor, Jim Frenkel, told me several years ago that the piece had
to be done over my Xmas vacation. I told him I could maybe get it
done by January 10th or so. He reluctantly agreed.

Three or four years later, the book is still not out. As the nerds
like to say, "Grumble."

So, if my article appears curiously dated, look to this several-year delay.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.