CDR: RE: why should it be trusted? cpunk

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Thu Oct 19 13:47:59 PDT 2000

> ----------

Curiously, life and health insurance providers have conflicting goals. Life
insurance providers profit most if you live a long, long, time, regardless
of the quality of that life.

Health insurance providers would much prefer that at some age just before
you start needing large amounts of care, you die too rapidly to need
any kind of treatment - a sudden coronary, or hit by the proverbial bus.

I've heard that smokers actually cost the healthcare system less money than
non-smokers, since they die comparatively rapidly once they start to
deteriorate (no I can't give a cite on that one, either), and need less
long-term
care.

Peter Trei