CDR: Re: judges needing killing...

Alan Olsen alan at clueserver.org
Thu Oct 19 12:06:56 PDT 2000

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 anonymous at openpgp.net wrote:

> Oct 19, 2000 - 06:55 AM
>
>             California Court Declines to Review
>             Vehicle Forfeiture Law
>             The Associated Press
>
>             SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The state Supreme Court has
>             declined to review a ruling allowing police to seize vehicles
>             suspected of use in crimes such as drug dealing or soliciting
>             a prostitute.

Portland, Oregon has a similar law.  In practice, they take your car only
as long as it has resale value.  (In other words, it is done for revenue
and not for "punishment".)

Speaking of governmental seizures...

Oregon has a balot initiative to tighten down the seizure laws.  They are
trying to add in that the property can only be seized if the owner is
convicted of something.

Interesting to see who is lining up against this one.

The first few arguments against the initiative are from the animal
shelters claiming that is will harm animals!  The rest are from various
law enforcement agencies and the like upset because they will have not
have this hidden source of funding for toys.

alan at ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."