CDR: Declan should hope Bush is elected!

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Oct 19 12:13:53 PDT 2000

I know Declan is libertarian-leaning, but it seems to me he has good
reason to hope Bush wins. Look at Bush's latest stump speech:

Thursday October 19 2:13 PM ET
Bush Calls Gore Out of Step with New Economy

Reuters Photo

By Patricia Wilson

FRASER, Mich. (Reuters) - Deriding Democrat Al Gore (news - web
sites) for ''analog thinking in a digital age,'' Republican George W.
Bush (news - web sites) on Thursday cast himself as a better steward
of the new economy who would protect the Internet from ``the heavy
hand of government.''

Bush touted the technology boom in Texas and pointed out that a
Texan, Jack Kilby, won a Nobel Prize last week for inventing the
integrated circuit in the 1950s.

``It was an amazing achievement, unrivaled in the annals of
technology until 1986, when one senator from Tennessee, alone in his
office, invented the Internet,'' Bush said.

Competing Plans

The reference to Gore and the Internet, drew hoots of laughter and
prolonged applause. Gore, who while in Congress was credited with
helping to push federal funding for research that brought about the
Internet, has conceded one of his biggest mistakes was when he was
seen as claiming credit for helping invent the Internet.

--end excerpt--

Seems to me that if Bush wins, Declan will be quite welcome in the
White House. He may even be able to influence Bush further in the
direction of "hands off" approaches, especially in censorship and
filtering.

If Gore wins, I expect Declan will face a chilly reception.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.