CDR: Re: Insurance (was: why should it be trusted?) cpunk

Marshall Clow mclow at owl.csusm.edu
Thu Oct 19 10:16:03 PDT 2000

At 10:11 AM -0400 10/19/00, Trei, Peter wrote:
>While by default I hold libertarian positions, doing so sometimes
>requires uncomfortable contortions.
>
>Who, for example, should the inhabitants of Tuvalu sue for rising
>sea levels? Neighbouring territories for failing to prevent excess
>seawater from crossing their mid-ocean border? Arctic nations
>for sloppy handling of the runoff from their melting icecaps? The
>rest of the human race for burning too much stuff? Me for driving a
>Suburban?
>
>Sometimes ownership is so distant and diluted that
>individual responsibility is impossible to establish, yet the
>problems are real, and significant.
>
>[This is just an example, ok? Lets NOT fork into a debate over
>the reality (or lack thereof) of global warming.]

No problem.

However, it illustrates another point that I wish to refute.
--> Every time that something happens, someone is to blame.

Who is to blame for hurricanes?
Haiti, for not stopping them before they reach Florida?

Who is to blame for a bee flying into your mouth while you are driving?
(which, if you've never had it happen, leads quickly to a car crash)

--
-- Marshall

"The era of big government is over."
           Bill Clinton, State of the Union Address, January 23, 1996
Marshall Clow     MusicMatch   <mailto:mclow at mailhost2.csusm.edu>