CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

Marshall Clow mclow at owl.csusm.edu
Wed Oct 18 22:23:25 PDT 2000

At 10:07 PM -0700 10/18/00, Nathan Saper wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 10:01:20PM -0700, Marshall Clow wrote:

> > >Most insurance companies are worth millions, if not billions, of
> > >dollars, and they make huge profits.  Insuring all of the people that
> > >they now deny based on genetic abnormalities would still allow them to
> > >make decent profits.
> >
> > So? What authority gets to decide what "decent" profits are?
> > Businesses _should_ always seek to maximize their profits
> > in the long term.
>
>My point is, it wouldn't be death for the business if they were forced
>to insure people with genetic abnormalities.

You'd have to do more than blindly assert that before I would agree.

Even if I was willing to concede that point, you still have skated
around the "Who gets set up as arbiter of 'decent' profits" question.

> > >And many people are denied coverage outright, therefore removing the
> > >possibility of simply paying for their coverage.
> >
> > What is preventing them from simply paying for their treatment?
>
>Coverage is often cheaper than treatment.

So these people are entitled to something for nothing?
(or in this case, $1500 of treatment for $1000 of premiums)?

Why?

--
-- Marshall

"The era of big government is over."
           Bill Clinton, State of the Union Address, January 23, 1996
Marshall Clow     MusicMatch   <mailto:mclow at mailhost2.csusm.edu>