CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

Marshall Clow mclow at owl.csusm.edu
Wed Oct 18 22:01:20 PDT 2000

At 9:27 PM -0700 10/18/00, Nathan Saper wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 06:57:24PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
> > At 5:48 PM -0700 10/18/00, Nathan Saper wrote:
> > In any case, whether Alice sells insurance to Bob is not a matter for
> > the state to interfere with.
> >
> > You, Nathan, may set up your own insurance company if you wish. Or
> > you may offer to pay for the health care of those you think are not
> > getting a fair deal.
> >
> > But you may NOT tell me I must sell insurance if I choose not to.
>
>Most insurance companies are worth millions, if not billions, of
>dollars, and they make huge profits.  Insuring all of the people that
>they now deny based on genetic abnormalities would still allow them to
>make decent profits.

So? What authority gets to decide what "decent" profits are?
Businesses _should_ always seek to maximize their profits
in the long term.

Many businesses fall into the "short term trap", which maximizes
profits for a few years, which then fall off in the long term, leading
to lower overall profits.  Leaving "money on the table", as it were.

It is my _opinion_ that insurance companies, by inserting themselves into
the legal system, and seeking to make themselves a necessity,
are well down that road.

>And many people are denied coverage outright, therefore removing the
>possibility of simply paying for their coverage.

What is preventing them from simply paying for their treatment?
--
-- Marshall

"The era of big government is over."
           Bill Clinton, State of the Union Address, January 23, 1996
Marshall Clow     MusicMatch   <mailto:mclow at mailhost2.csusm.edu>