CDR: Re: Re: Re: why should it be trusted?

Neil Johnson njohnson at interl.net
Wed Oct 18 19:20:21 PDT 2000

--- Original Message -----
From: "Tim May" <tcmay at got.net>
To: "Yardena Arar + Christian Goetze" <kitties at best.com>
Cc: "Nathan Saper" <natedog at well.com>; "Cypherpunks"
<cypherpunks at cyberpass.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 9:00 PM
Subject: CDR: Re: Re: why should it be trusted?

> Gambling is about assessing risk and rewards and payoffs. A person
> seeking insurance knows things about his or her health that the
> prospective insurer may not know about. Likewise, the prospective
> insurer may come to know things about the candidate.
>
> This is the way markets in general have always worked. Economists
> talk about "preference revealing" and "selective disclosure of
> information."

But the Bob has no control of his risk (genetics), or at least not yet :).
The insurance company does.

I don't have a problem with insurance companies raising rates for people who
smoke, are overweight (cough, cough), or have high cholesterol (cough,
cough, cough). That's behavior that can be changed.

Neil M. Johnson
njohnson at interl.net
http://www.interl.net/~njohnson
PGP Key Finger Print: 93C0 793F B66E A0C7  CEEA 3E92 6B99 2DCC