CDR: Re: I created the "Al Gore created the Internet" story

Harmon Seaver hseaver at harmon.arrowhead.lib.mn.us
Wed Oct 18 14:45:18 PDT 2000

      No, that's just alternative dns.  Fidonet had most of what the internet has,
other than speed and the web  -- file repositories, email, newsgroups -- but it was
all done privately. My node would call a higher node in the middle of the night and
exchange files, mail, etc.  Sometimes it was a little funky, like when someone up
the line was too broke to make the long distance calls every night so the mail got
stuck there, but generally it was pretty efficient.
       For privacy seeking groups, however, it certainly still has an application,
with modifications to incorporate crypto. If packet radio were used, it could be
totally anonymous, modeled after mixmaster, with key authentication, but pretty much
untraceable, especially with burst broadcasting technology.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS     Systems Librarian
Arrowhead Library System        Virginia, MN