CDR: RE: I created the "Al Gore created the Internet" story

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Wed Oct 18 13:28:35 PDT 2000

> ----------

To expand on this, in the early years, access was only for people doing
DoD funded work - either defense contractors, or universities with DoD
funding. It was even argued that non work-related email was forbidden
(and the SF-Lovers Digest - the first large mailing list - existed only
sub-rosa for it's early years). Usenet was a bit later - early to mid-80's
I think.

But there were a lot of earlier problems...

In those days, there were no ISPs. You got access through a university or
a contractor, or not at all. Around 1990, email portals were permitted to
some of the large commercial BBS systems - BIX, Delphi, Compuserve,
etc - later Usenet was also gatewayed (I date the 'death of the net' to
this period).

At this time, the typical user used a terminal emulation program (vt100)
to dial into a Unix box, and then used Unix CLI tools to access net
services from that point. If you wanted to get something from the
Unix box to your PC, you used sneakernet or Kermit.

Finally, NSF and DARPA got out of the net, and commercial
backbone providers took over. ISPs started to appear.

However, the net was still hard to use, and very much a geek's toy. If
you doubt this, consider that until the early 90's, all access was
still via command line interfaces - rn for news, ftp for file transfer,
telnet for remote access,  a variety of packages for mail (all flat
text). Even if you owned a PC, you still had to buy and set up a
modem, buy and install a TCP stack (not included in DOS or
Windows), and obtain some initial tools (ftp clients most critically -
with ftp you could bootstrap yourself).

It was not until the WWW that 'the lights came on' and suddenly
the net was something that non-geeks could expect to use and
navigate effectively.

Peter Trei