CDR: Re: I created the "Al Gore created the Internet" story

Harmon Seaver hseaver at harmon.arrowhead.lib.mn.us
Wed Oct 18 12:53:29 PDT 2000

jim bell wrote:

> I'll stake my claim right here.  Very shortly after Algore called the
> Internet the "Information Superhighway", I called FIDOnet "the Information
> Jeep-Trail."

             I had a fidonet node for awhile.  The concept really needs to be
revived -- and combined with more recent developments like Publius, freenet,
and gnutella.  Sort of an underground internet -- the Information Subway.  Just
remember I coined that one and it's copylefted.
             And for all I know, people are already doing it. A subterranean
"fidonet" partially using the net, partially (or maybe totally for some groups)
the old fidonet, middle of the night phone updates and downloads, coupled with
pgpfone. Add in packet radio.  And what with carnivore, et al, maybe it'll
become the next big thing.

--
Harmon Seaver, MLIS     Systems Librarian
Arrowhead Library System        Virginia, MN