CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

jim bell jimdbell at home.com
Wed Oct 18 12:05:07 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: David Honig <honig at sprynet.com>
> [forking the DNA discussion slightly]
>
> On giving blood samples to police: I believe the supremes are going to
> hear a case about a hospital taking blood samples after delivery
> of a baby, running drug checks, and turning her over to the police
> immediately for child abuse.

I seem to recall a news item which indicated that the arguments for this
case have already been made.  The claim was made by the cops that it was to
protect the fetus' health, to which one SC Justice  (female; don't recall
which one) responded by. in effect, saying that by the time the test was
made (presumably, shortly before birth) the damage, if any, had already been
done.

I think this practice will fail, for the predictable reasons.