CDR: The "Ungoverned", or at least "Unprotected" (was Re: NSA

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 18 10:39:09 PDT 2000

At 1:10 PM -0400 10/18/00, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>      Speaking of "The Ungoverned", I've been looking for it, can't find
>it in libraries, Amazon, or Bibliofind, so I'm thinking that it was in a
>collection? Does anyone know which?

It's in one of the two paperback collections of Vinge's short stories
and novellas, either in "Threats and Other Promises" or "True Names
and Other Dangers." Both are out of print. I have both, but not in
locations known to me as I write, so I can't check which one has "The
Ungoverned."

The best bet has always been for folks to snap up Vinge novels as
they are found in second-hand book shops. I bought several copies of
"The Peace War," "Marooned in Realtime," and, of course, "True
Names," in just this way.

Vinge just won a second Hugo Best Novel for "A Deepness in the Sky,"
so maybe this means the long-delayed re-issue of "True Names" will
finally happen. (Alas, my essay for it was written several years ago,
so is even more out of date. From the instant publishing on the Net
to several years' delay in publishing in pulpspace.)

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.