CDR: Reputation, Identity, and Belief

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 18 10:06:31 PDT 2000

At 12:31 PM -0400 10/18/00, David Honig wrote:
>  >> Other choices?
>>>
>>>     Identity Theft
>>>     Identity Pollution
>>>     Identity Vandalism
>>>     Identity Assault
>>>     Identity Misappropriation
>>>     (Slander in the First Person :)
>>>
>>>  Would it matter if we substitute "reputation" for "identity".
>
>I think it'd be clearer.
>
>>>Is my identity
>>>  (to others) any different than the reputation with which it is associated?
>
>No.
>
>I suggest Reputation Hijacking, but don't expect the lexicon to change.

And I think all of these examples/phrases miss the essential point.

(I don't intend for this to sound too confrontational, though it is
phrased bluntly. This is in fact an extremely interesting topic, and
I thank David for making his points so that I can rebut them.)

Here are the bold, but little-appreciated, points:

Alice does not own her reputation.

Alice does not own her identity.

Alice does not own the trust others have in her various credentials.

Alice does not own the various beliefs people and agents around her
have. Even when those beliefs involve _her_, e.g., her identity, her
age, her creditworthiness, her insurability, and her "reputation."

The key issue is an ontological one.

These are all beliefs that various others have in some attribute or
credential referring to Alice. Bob believes Alice to be a trustworthy
person. Charles believes Alice to be 25 years old. Dorenda believes
Alice to actually be the person with the birthname "Alice B. Toklas."
And so on.

Sometimes other people act to change these beliefs. Hilda the
Hijacker says "Do you know that Alice was actually born Ruthanne
Rutledge?"

Or Lenny the Lender says "Alice borrowed money from me and didn't pay
it back. Watch out for her."

Has Hilda the Hijacker actually "hijacked" Alice's name identity? Has
Lenny the Lender stolen Alice's creditworthiness?

Crypto and related tools offer Alice and others the means to make
such casual "thefts" (aspersions, etc.) harder to do. Alice can
digitally sign to "prove" mathematically she is the  holder of
certain credentials. And so on, for the obvious extensions to webs of
trust, webs of doubt, webs of gossip, etc.

Any talk of "theft" or "misappropriation" misses this key point.

And, even more importantly than the crypto/signature part
(ironically), such language misses the critical issue of "who owns a
reputation?" As I have described above, Alice does not own her
reputation: "her" reputation consists of a set of beliefs of varying
degrees of certainty held by a set of people around her.

"Where do I go to get my reputation back?" Think about it.

The same point applies to identity, of course.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.