CDR: Re: I created the "Al Gore created the Internet" story

jim bell jimdbell at home.com
Wed Oct 18 12:22:19 PDT 2000

> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,39301,00.html
>
>     The Mother of Gore's Invention
>     by Declan McCullagh (declan at wired.com)

[deletia uber alles]

>     Many portions -- discussions of universal service, wiring classrooms
>     to the Net, and antitrust actions -- are surprisingly relevant even
>     today. (That's an impressive enough feat that we might even forgive
>     Gore his tortured metaphors such as "road kill on the information
>     superhighway" and "parked at the curb" on the information
>     superhighway.)

I'll stake my claim right here.  Very shortly after Algore called the
Internet the "Information Superhighway", I called FIDOnet "the Information
Jeep-Trail."

>     But it's also difficult to argue with a straight face that the
>     Internet we know today would not exist if Gore had decided to practice
>     the piano instead of politics.
>
>     By the time Gore took notice of the Net around 1987, the basics were
>     already in place. The key protocol, TCP/IP, was written and the
>     culture of the Net had blossomed through Usenet and mailing lists, as
>     chronicled in Eric Raymond's Jargon File. At best, Gore's involvement
>     merely hastened its development.

I ask this, what I believe would be an excellent idea for an article: Why
didn't the Internet develop even faster than it actually did?  9600 bps
modems existed in 1986, not all that far in performance behind 28Kbps units.
By 1986, numerous clones of the IBM PC and AT existed.

Compare this with the breakout of the fax machines in the 1985-86 timeframe.
I wish I had the numbers, but it seemed like at the beginning of 1985 few
companies had faxes, while by the end of that year "every" company did.  By
the end of 1986 that had spread to individuals, as well.

I'm not suggesting some sort of vast conspiracy to keep the Internet small.
But I think it could be found that 3-4 years were effectively wasted.  I
really want to know what the impediments to the Internet were in the
1986-1993 time frame.

Jim Bell