CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 18 00:06:36 PDT 2000

At 10:20 PM -0500 10/17/00, Allen Ethridge wrote:
>On Tuesday, October 17, 2000, at 08:19 PM, Tim May wrote:
>
>As for insurance companies "discriminating," this is what I hope for.
>Those of us who don't engage in certain practices--smoking, sky
>diving, anal sex, whatever--should not be subsidizing those who do.
>This is the beauty of "opt out" plans.
>
>Yes, only the genetically pure deserve health care.  And you are sure
>that the insurance companies won't opt you out when they get a good
>look at your DNA?

Insurers are bettors. They weigh all available information and then
set a premium based on their expectations. Even those with "bad
genes" can get insurance...they just have to pay more. Sounds fair to
me.

More to the point, "opt out" means that a person, call her Alice, can
arrange for her own tests, done privately. For diseases to which she
is not susceptable, she can "opt out." If she has vanishingly small
expectation of contracting AIDS, for example, she can opt out. In an
uncoerced society, yow else could it be.

>But the first order of business is for you to support your claim that
>DNA is collected by the police and then shared with insurance
>companies.
>
>Actually, that's your claim.

Stop your lying. I was responding to the point made earlier that DNA
is being collected by the police and is shared with insurers.

>But I'm surprised that you'er so ignorant
>of cooperation between government and corporations.  Maybe you
>don't actually work for a living.  You are aware of drug testing in the
>work place, aren't you?

Those who won't piss in a jar don't have to work for Megatronic Corporation.

Employment is not a "right."

And none of _my_ employees are drug tested.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.