CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

Marshall Clow mclow at owl.csusm.edu
Tue Oct 17 20:51:41 PDT 2000

At 10:20 PM -0500 10/17/00, Allen Ethridge wrote:
>On Tuesday, October 17, 2000, at 08:19 PM, Tim May wrote:
>
>As for insurance companies "discriminating," this is what I hope for.
>Those of us who don't engage in certain practices--smoking, sky
>diving, anal sex, whatever--should not be subsidizing those who do.
>This is the beauty of "opt out" plans.
>
>Yes, only the genetically pure deserve health care.  And you are sure
>that the insurance companies won't opt you out when they get a good
>look at your DNA?

Actually, that's not at all what he said.

>But the first order of business is for you to support your claim that
>DNA is collected by the police and then shared with insurance
>companies.
>
>Actually, that's your claim.  But I'm surprised that you'er so ignorant
>of cooperation between government and corporations.  Maybe you
>don't actually work for a living.  You are aware of drug testing in the
>work place, aren't you?

I can't speak for Tim, but I work for a living.

I am aware of drug testing in the workplace, and have never
chosen to work for a company that requires it.

P.S.	I too would be interested in documented cases where DNA
collected by the police was given to insurance companies.
--
-- Marshall

"The era of big government is over."
           Bill Clinton, State of the Union Address, January 23, 1996
Marshall Clow     MusicMatch   <mailto:mclow at mailhost2.csusm.edu>