CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Oct 17 18:19:27 PDT 2000

At 5:50 PM -0700 10/17/00, Nathan Saper wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 12:07:00PM -0400, David Honig wrote:
>>  At 09:14 PM 10/16/00 -0400, Nathan Saper wrote:
>>  >When do cops take DNA at traffic stops?
>>
>>  Not yet.  But I believe the UK takes samples of everyone
>>  arrested (not necessarily guilty) of minor crimes, and some
>>  US states and cities do or periodically propose doing this
>>  or more.
>
>The next question is: What do they do with this info?  Insurance
>companies and the like use it to justify discrimination against people
>likely to develop certain medical conditions.

Are you claiming that DNA collected by the police is then given to
insurance companies?

An audacious claim. Do you evidence to support this extraordinary claim?

I will be very interested to hear which communities, which states,
are doing this. So will many journalists, I hope.

On the other hand, having heard that even getting a simple blood or
saliva sample requires court action, I expect you are once again
merely hand-waving.

As for insurance companies "discriminating," this is what I hope for.
Those of us who don't engage in certain practices--smoking, sky
diving, anal sex, whatever--should not be subsidizing those who do.
This is the beauty of "opt out" plans.

But the first order of business is for you to support your claim that
DNA is collected by the police and then shared with insurance
companies.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.