CDR: NSA Releases Reorg Reports

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Tue Oct 17 11:13:15 PDT 2000

NSA released today on its Web site two reports on
its reorganization, one by an external team of 27 page,
another of 76 pages by an internal team. Both are big
PDF files.  We have converted the first to HTML:

   http://cryptome.org/nsa-reorg-et.htm  (77KB)

Here is an excerpt:

"We interviewed about one hundred people in the Agency,
including most senior leaders, and asked very specific
questions about the way people operate and the embedded
culture. We learned the Agency is a very bureaucratic
government organization, and that most of the behavior
patterns were established during the 1970s and 1980s
when there was plenty of money to execute its mission.

NSA appears to operate like an entitlement program.
Most people in the Agency are highly motivated and work
very hard, but a portion does not.

We also found a leadership culture that appears most
interested in focusing on their positions and protecting
their people's jobs at the expense of accomplishing the
mission.

Most of the people at NSA are hired night out of college
and spend their entire lives in the Agency. Regardless
of their work performance and their job responsibility,
the Agency promotes people roughly at the same rate.
The institution encouraged people to get deeply involved
in the promotion process, to the point that civilian
personnel wrote their own promotion reports, and
supervisors endorsed the reports even if they did not
agree, mostly to prevent animosity.

However, the most critical aspect of the people and
culture in the institution was the mindset related to
lack of empowerment and accountability.

NSA's present culture overemphasizes loyalty to a
particular function and its associated senior leadership,
instead of full and frank discussions of problems, issues
and concerns. This has created a culture that discourages
sending bad news up the chain of command. The staff knows
NSA is falling behind and is not properly addressing the
inherent problems of the emerging global network, and the
present management infrastructure does not appear to be
supporting the required changes.

In addition, we are concerned the present mindset fostered
a society where people were afraid to express their own
thoughts. Even though people spoke to us with true candor,
they always wanted to avoid attribution because of the
perception that the information was going to be used
against them."

External Team Report: a Management Review for the Director, NSA,
October 22, 2000

  http://www.nsa.gov/releases/nsa_external_team_report.pdf (2.7MB)

Second report:

  http://www.nsa.gov/releases/nsa_new_enterprise_team_recommendations.pdf