CDR: Re: Non-Repudiation in the Digital Environment (was Re: First Monday August 2000)

Arnold G. Reinhold reinhold at world.std.com
Tue Oct 17 08:03:39 PDT 2000

At 4:37 PM -0700 10/16/2000, Ed Gerck wrote:
>Borrowing from a private comment from Bob Jueneman, whatever the technical
>community decides that non-repudiation means, it probably isn't what the legal
>community means.  So be it.  Certainly the legal profession uses
>ordinary English
>words to mean other than their ordinary meaning in a particular
>context, and so
>do other professions.

This is the nub of our argument.  I believe the terms we use
influence how our technology will be interpreted in a societal and
legal context and we therefore have an obligation to be as clear as
possible. This is particularly important with technology such as
digital signatures and certs  which may profoundly alter the way
individuals interact with the economic system.

>> No cryptographic technology that I am aware of can fairly be said to
>> render the denial of an act impossible.
>
>Of course not, and we agree this much. That is why I wrote earlier that
>non-repudiation is not a "stronger" authentication or a long-lived one.
>In my view, a non-repudiation proof could be disqualifed by an authentication
>proof. Non-repudiation does NOT trump authentication -- which is what this
>original thread (First Monday  article) proposed, based on some mythical
>"trusted systems".

To the extent we agree here, I would urge you to help insure that
this message is crystal clear in all specs and documents whose
content you can influence. And don't rely on which dictionary's
definition of "protect" is correct.

>OTOH, some lawyers and lawmakers are oftentimes the first ones to use the term
>"identifty theft" -- which simply is not a theft, it is
>impersonation.  I hope we
>in crypto don't have to use "identity theft" as well. And, they can
>continue to use it.

The problem goes beyond simple impersonation in that the victims
subsequently find it difficult to convince large institutions that
they are who they say they are.   My understanding is that the term
comes from victims' statements that they felt as if their identities
had been stolen.  See http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/. The question
is relevant here, not as just another parallel question of semantics,
but because exactly how the legal system treats "non-repudiation" can
make the identity theft problem much better or much worse.

For what it's worth, when Congress responded to this problem by
passing the Identity Theft and Assumption Deterrence Act of 1998, it
did not define "identity theft" as a new crime, but merely amended 18
U.S.C. ยง 1028 "Fraud and related activity in connection with
identification documents and information." The act includes
provisions that appear to protect private keys, though they are not
explicitly mentioned, while biometrics are (see 1028(d)(3)(C)).

Arnold Reinhold