CDR: Re: A helpful ruling on "anonymity"

Matt Curtin cmcurtin at interhack.net
Tue Oct 17 07:57:11 PDT 2000

  Tim> This is helpful because it pushed anonymity back into the
  Tim> technological arena, where it belongs.

Indeed.

With all of the people running around claiming that data which are
pseudonymous are actually anonymous, it's no wonder that there's so
much confusion.

http://www.consumerreports.org/Special/ConsumerInterest/Reports/0005pri1.htm

Trying to point out the property of pseudonymity and to highlight the
differences between privacy risks inherent to pseudonymous and
anonymous data is a great way to get yourself labeled a pedant, by the
way.  It never ceases to amaze me how some people will resist learning
something, even when such learning would clearly be in their interest.

--
Matt Curtin, Founder   Interhack Corporation   http://www.interhack.net/
"Building the Internet, Securely."   research | development | consulting