CDR: Re: why should it be trusted?

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Tue Oct 17 07:38:57 PDT 2000

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 09:46:25PM -0700, Nathan Saper wrote:
> Fine.  My basis for my claim is that the NSA is the best funded and
> best equiped electronic intelligence agency in the world, and they
> have employed some of the smartest people in the world.

Sorry, but this is hand-waving. There are smart people outside the NSA
and there is money outside the NSA.

> Fine, it's a claim made by the clueless.  I'm not claiming to be
> something other than clueless, but I am claiming to have not meant
> what I sent to this list.  Again, not a good proofreader.  Again, sue me.

No, you'll just be ridiculed instead. Extraordinary claims require
extraordinary proof, and you have not provided it.

Think of it from a longtime cypherpunk's perspective: We see people
come in here and say the same thing as you every month or so, and
offer much in the way of not-very-informed speculation but little in
the way of proof.

-Declan