CDR: Re: Glass doors [was: Rijndael & Hitachi] cpunk

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Oct 16 06:47:31 PDT 2000

> ----------
> From: 	sustae at intergate.ca[SMTP:sustae at intergate.ca]
> I wouldn't recommend boobytrapping the glass in that manner.
> I'd go with a ballistic laminate on the glass.
[...]
> Ed
> > At 02:51 PM 10/14/00 -0700, jim bell wrote:
> > >
> > >The solution is obvious, to a chemist.  Make the glass door
> double-glazed,
> > >sealed at the edges, and filled with hydrogen cyanide (prussic acid).

I agree with Ed - let us not confuse our goals with our means. The goal is
have a door which is transparent - it lets those in look out (and, perhaps
only
coincidentally) those outside look in. It also acts as a window, letting
letting
light into the house, and at night illuminating the door area from the
inside.

The goal is *not* to secure a door made out of glass. The goal is a
transparent
door. Go with Lexan.

I often find stepping back and saying 'exactly what are we actually trying
acheive here?' is a powerful tool for solving problems. Its all too easy to
try to
add fixes to a bad solution, rather than find a different one.

Peter Trei

[Anyone remember the guy who proposed invasion proofing a home by
boobytrapping it with biowarfare agents, and somehow immunizing your
family against them?]

[I've dropped coderpunks and cryptography from the cc: list, since this
has gone *way* off-topic. - pt ]