CDR: why should it be trusted?

Jordan Dimov jdimov at cis.clarion.edu
Sun Oct 15 14:28:19 PDT 2000

  I don't know much about crypto politics, but...  isn't it utterly
obvious that the mere fact that the NSA suggest a certain algorithm (say
Rijndael) for a national standard and recomends its use internationally
imply that they have a pretty darn good idea (if not actual technology)
on how to break it efficiently?  I just don't see why else they would
advocate its use.  After all isn't the fact that NSA could break DES since
the 70's the reason for the 'success' of DES?