CDR: RE: Re: Anonymous Remailers cpunk

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Fri Oct 13 07:18:04 PDT 2000

> ----------

Jim:

A spammer (or your spammer's proxy) is not going to
individually encrypt messages to thousands or
millions of end-recipients, each with their own public
key - the time factor makes this uneconomical, and
the hassle factor of finding all the recipient public
keys makes it impractical. Thus, only remailers
which send out plaintext are useful to spammers
as exit remailers.

It is only exit remailers (ie, the remailer which sends
to the final recipient) which get hassled for sending
spam.

The goal is to make remailer operators life easier by
preventing them from being used to spam random
lusers, who may initiate complaints against the
remailer operator.

It is not to prevent spam passing through a remailer
somewhere in mid-cloud. While such encrypted
spam will increase the volume of traffic, for most
remailers that is a Good Thing - more material to
confuse the traffic analysis. As long as it gets
dropped before leaving the remailer network, no
harm is done.

Steve understands this, as does every one else but
you.

What's the problem?

> For it to really stop spam it would need to be well distributed. So how do
> you offset the increased sys admin issues this raises?

Any remailer operator can decide not to pass along plaintext. So long as the
message sender is aware of this property, nothing more needs to be
distributed.
There are no increased sysadmin issues.

> Then there is the old key management problem.
>
> James Choate

No, there is not, beyond the fact that the message originator must know the
final recipient's public key.

Jim, do you really understand how remailer chaining works?

Peter Trei