CDR: Two items, of varying relevance to the list

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Oct 13 01:27:06 PDT 2000

Two items which may have only slight relevance to the list. I've been
waiting for an opportunity to mention them in context...

First, Judea Pearl's "Causality." A mix of logic, AI, and ontology.
Closely related to issues of belief and causality. (Some of you may
know of my interest in Dempster-Shafer belief theory...this is
closely related.)

Second, just watched "Lola rennt," aka "Run, Lola, Run," for the
fourth or fifth time. Saw it in a theater the first time, a year or
so ago.

It's interesting that German is so willing to absorb new language
terms, completely unlike French. English has embraced foreign
expressions, and so, it seems, has German.

Of these two points, the Pearl book is more significant, ultimately.
But the film has its place.

Sorry there is no "crypto significance" here. No S-box details, no
Rijndael details. TS.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.