CDR: RE: Burglar Politics, Tempesting PC's that watch TV and DVD regions

Lucky Green shamrock at cypherpunks.to
Thu Oct 12 19:22:36 PDT 2000

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, jim bell wrote:
>
> >> A popular, but false, myth. The video cards radiate more than
> the CRT's.
> >> Laptops tend to be the worst offenders.
> >>
> >> --Lucky Green <shamrock at cypherpunks.to>
> >
> >As to the video cards...
> >Sorry, Lucky, but you're going to have to support this a little better.
> >Emissions are a function of  the signal voltage in a conductor, and the
> >extent that this conductor is free to emit.

NP. There is plenty of conductor in a laptop. What tends to be missing,
though, is shielding. In particular, laptops tend to have plastic cases.
Without a metal case, even a badly designed, at all, a little signal goes a
long way.

You also may wish to inquire with Ross Anderson or Markus Kuhn what type of
computer their group uses for the van Eck demos and why. Last I talked about
this with them, it was a laptop.

Have fun,
--Lucky Green <shamrock at cypherpunks.to>

  "Anytime you decrypt... its against the law".
   Jack Valenti, President, Motion Picture Association of America in
   a sworn deposition, 2000-06-06