CDR: Re: Anonymous Remailers cpunk

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Thu Oct 12 16:09:00 PDT 2000

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Steve Furlong wrote:

> <<Proposal to limit spam sent through anon remailers by requiring that
> the traffic be encrypted>>

> Perhaps we're talking at cross purposes. This subthread came along
> because some people have noticed that anonymous remailers are used for
> an awful lot of spam. Peter Trei proposed that remailers could pass
> along only encrypted mail. My understanding was that Alice, the
> message's author, would encrypt the message with Bob's public key; Bob
> is the end recipient: a person or a mailing list or whatever. Alice
> would send the message through Ramona, the anonymous remailer. Ramona is
> requiring that messages be encrypted as a means of filtering out spam.
> Ramona does not need to know Bob's public or private keys; Ramona cares
> only that the message is encrypted.

So? I set up a email address that I offer to the spammers to sign up to
the anonymous remailers and then it proxies their email into the encrypted
network. I figure this baby'll stop'em for about six months.

For it to really stop spam it would need to be well distributed. So how do
you offset the increased sys admin issues this raises?

Then there is the old key management problem.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com