CDR: Re: Think cash

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 11 18:23:07 PDT 2000

At 12:59 PM -0400 10/11/00, Marcel Popescu wrote:
>An interesting idea has surfaced on the freenet-chat list: is it possible to
>build a program that creates some sort of a puzzle, whose answer the
>generating computer knows (and can verify), but which can only be answered
>by a human being, not by a computer? [Additional requirement: it should be
>easy for the human to answer the puzzle.]

There are not any examples that I know of that are exponentially
harder for computers to solve than for humans to solve.

There may be examples which polynomially harder for computers to
solve (e.g., 1000 800 MHz Pentium IIIs for 3 hours vesus a single
human for one second), but this is not interesting from a crypto
perspective.

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.