CDR: Think cash

Marcel Popescu mdpopescu at geocities.com
Wed Oct 11 09:59:37 PDT 2000

An interesting idea has surfaced on the freenet-chat list: is it possible to
build a program that creates some sort of a puzzle, whose answer the
generating computer knows (and can verify), but which can only be answered
by a human being, not by a computer? [Additional requirement: it should be
easy for the human to answer the puzzle.]

My proposal was to randomly create an image, which should be 1) easily
recognizable by a human (say the image of a pet), but 2) complex enough so
that no known algorithm could "reverse-engineer" this. [You need a
randomly-generated image because otherwise one could build a large database
of all the possible images and the correct answers.] Background information
would also be very useful - see
http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/userg/images/969403123.shtml - it's easy for
a human being to identify the animal in the picture, but (AFAIK) impossible
to write a program to do the same thing.

Ideas?

Mark

---
All inventions or works of authorship original to me,
herein and past, are placed irrevocably in the public
domain, and may be used or modified for any purpose,
without permission, attribution, or notification.