CDR: Re: Rijndael & Hitachi

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Tue Oct 10 15:23:25 PDT 2000

Michael Paul Johnson wrote:

> At 01:44 PM 10/10/00 -0400, Arnold G. Reinhold wrote:
> >I was thinking it might be useful to define a "Paranoid Encryption Standard (PES)"
>
> To put this suggestion into perspective, consider that in the real world, pure cipher strength is rarely the weakest link in the security chain, provided that a reasonable key length and cipher are chosen.<

I was thinking the same thing. The five most secure algorithms in the
world don't do any good if the passwords are on a post-it on the
monitor. I really like Sunder's .sig about passwords and underwear; too
bad a lot of users don't follow that advice.

--
Steve Furlong, Computer Condottiere     Have GNU, will travel
   518-374-4720     sfurlong at acmenet.net