Rijndael & Hitachi

Arnold G. Reinhold reinhold at world.std.com
Tue Oct 10 10:44:13 PDT 2000

Thanks for the summary. My only problem with Rijndael is that it is
still rather young. I recall reading that NSA takes seven years to
qualify a new cipher. It took at least that long for the open
cryptographic community to trust DES.  If someone asked me what
cipher to use today in a new, very high value application, I would
have a hard time choosing between Rijndael and 3DES. Rijndael appears
to be a far superior design, but 3DES has enjoyed a lot more scrutiny.

I was thinking it might be useful to define a "Paranoid Encryption
Standard (PES)" that is a concatenation of all five AES finalists,
applied in alphabetical order, all with the same key (128-bit or
256-bit).  If in fact RC6 is the only finalist still subject to
licensing by its developer, it could be replaced by DEAL
(alphabetized under "D"). Since DEAL is based on DES, it brings the
decades of testing and analysis DES has received to the party.  DEAL
was dinged in the first round because "it is claimed that DEAL-192 is
no more secure than DEAL-128" and "equivalent keys are claimed for a
fraction (2**­64) of the 192-bit and 256-bit key spaces."
http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/round1/r1report.htm#sec2.3.1 I
don't think either issues is reason to exclude DEAL in this role,
though if there were tweaks to DEAL that resolved them, they might be
worth including.

PES would be intended for encrypting material of the highest value
while AES undergoes additional years of scrutiny. Given Rijndael's
outstanding performance, PES could prove 10-20 times slower than AES,
but that should not be a problem on modern PCs. User's of PES could
still face third-party patent claims, such as Hitachi's, whatever
validity they may have.  To the extent that my ideas in this posting
are patentable, I would happily place them in the public domain.

Arnold Reinhold