CDR: Re: Guys, I need help

wayne wayne at nym.alias.net
Mon Oct 9 14:53:37 PDT 2000

cypherpunks at toad.com <cypherpunks at toad.com>
M. Emad Ul Hasan <emad_16 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Guys, I need help

> Your anonymizer.com is blocked in Saudi Arabia via proxy. Can you tell me a way I can see this site

1. go to my site at:
http://www.angelfire.com/wy/1waynes/
2. look in the 'list of proxies'
3. click on the 'clickable' ones - these are CGI proxies and the
first few you come across are working for KSA people at the moment.
That may be enough for you.

If you want more ...
At the same site you might download my findProxyNew.pl which
(at least) contains many URLs for lists of proxies.
If you decide to test them, install Perl (URL is on my downloads page),
run findProxyNew with $country set to 'KSA' and it will find any
you can use from whatever list you feed it.

Expect to find maybe one in 1,000 of the proxies to be any use to you.

If you want even more...
Get a shell account in a free country and run a redirector there,
or your own proxy.

For the others who responded, these proxies are blocked in the Middle
East countries by IP address range (the whole noproxy.com range,
for example, including the name server!), by port number (standard
ports like 80, 3128, 8080) are blocked and (within the country-wide
proxy arrays) by censoring databases of URL strings (for the
'unwanted' URLs, including CGI proxy URLS).

My site details all this.

For those cypherpunks who actively believe in freedom of information,
the biggest single thing you could do break down this censorship
would be to offer a non-dial shell account, on the understanding that
it would be used to run redirectors/relays/bouncers and maybe a
proxy (junkbuster, say). I solicited about 10 promising looking
ISPs in the USA once, for those who were willing to sell shells
under these conditions. I had a response rate of about 20%, and
finally only one ISP came through - panix.com.

It was just too hard for the rest to bother with; obviously my
approach was too honest :-)

regards,
wayne

wayne at nym.alias.net