CDR: Re: stego for the censored

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Oct 7 17:07:42 PDT 2000

At 7:50 PM -0400 10/7/00, Adam Back wrote:
>Steve Furlong wrote:
>>  Not good enough, I'm afraid. As Tim said, if the authorities in an
>>  authoritarian regime _suspect_ secrets are being passed they have
>>  "probable cause" to break out the jumper cables.
>
>So what you need is wide scale deployment of the stego decoder in some
>otherwise popular software.  Eg. talk ID Games into putting a stego
>subliminal channel in doom computer generated character movements so
>network doom players can talk to each other steganographically by
>playing a game and typing in some "cheat mode" to switch the mode on.
>
>(The stego channel is the RNG).

Needless to say, but I will say it anyway, no game company or
software company or music provider or anyone else will ever put in
something so arcane as a "stego channel." We have to "get real" on
these issues.

Fortunately, it isn't needed at all. There is so much bandwidth
available that no such special channels or provisions are needed.

The average "Kill the son of the Scientology dog in Edmonton, Canada
on Friday, October 6" crypto message can easily be stegoed in oh so
many ways. Possibly even in messages to a.r.s.

And the real use of stego is not in sending Usenet- or Napster-like messages.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.