CDR: Re: Anonymous Remailers

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Sat Oct 7 01:50:39 PDT 2000

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Bill Stewart wrote:

>>One variation of the original proposal would be to only allow egress to
>>addresses known to lay in a jurisdiction different from the one in which the
>>remailer resides. I know, the problem is nontrivial with all the dotcom
>>addresses and such around. Does doing a DNS lookup and working on IP
>>addresses help?
>
>That's not something the remailer should be doing - that's something
>that the user sending the message should be doing

The thread originated from a concern of someone planning to put up a
remailer over legal responsibility and related costs. If in fact reducing
this cost is a prerequisite to a growing infrastructure of remailers, I
would say the remailers should definitely be doing just that. It's not
so very different from running a middleman.

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university