CDR: Re: stego for the censored

petro petro at bounty.org
Sat Oct 7 02:15:41 PDT 2000

>At 10:52 AM 10/6/00 -0400, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>>For the sake of us audiophiles, please don't.  MP3 is tinny and flat
>>at best;
>
>Then why are you 'audiophiles' traumatizing yourselves by listening
>to it?
>
>  it ticks me off that most folks seem to hear it as "good
>>enough", because if most folks hear it as "good enough" it means we're
>>not going to get a better sound format widely used.
>
>First 'good enough' depends on environment, e.g., ambient noise ---how
>about that computer fan, much less the noise in a car?
>
>Second, why did we evolve CDs if LPs were 'good enough' for most?  [Besides
>portability]

	Portability, and durability were primary concerns, plus it's
cheaper to make a "decent" sounding CD system than a *decent*
sounding analog system.

	LPs (Well, *properly cared for LPS from early in the
production run) (even to my Tin Ear) sound *better* than CDs when
played on high end equipment, and when playing music where absolute
fidelity matters.

	CDs are just cheaper to produce, easier to carry around,
subject to less degradation when *mildly* abused etc.
--
Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government