CDR: Re: stego for the censored

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Fri Oct 6 09:35:30 PDT 2000

At 07:05 AM 10/6/00 -0400, Tom Vogt wrote:
>I'm currently thinking of whether or not it is feasable to put stego
>data into EVERY .mp3 downloaded. just put random data into those not
>intended to carry a message.

Problem is that repeatedly decoding an .mp3 into a .wav, then feeding
the .wav and the stegobits into a stego-mp3-compressor[1], will lose
quality with each iteration.  But if you're just taking 'first generation'
simple rips off a CD or LP or Napster :-) you can do it easily.

[1] http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~fapp2/steganography/mp3stego/