CDR: Re: Gores teens and drugs

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Fri Oct 6 05:19:35 PDT 2000

Tim May wrote:

> And yet algore and Tipper cluck about an open can of beer being held
> by a 16-yo at a party.

Just goes to show what a strange country you live in Tim! When the
16-year-old son of out Prime Minister over here was picked up by the
police pissed out of his head lying in his own vomit in Leicester Square
(USAns might think "Times Square"?) nobody seemed to mind much. It is
the kind of thing kids get up to.  In fact Blair's opinion poll ratings
went up, prompting the leader of the opposition Conservative party to
boast that he used to drink 14 pints a night when he was a teenager. But
nobody believed him and journalists dug up old acquaintances to claim
that he mostly drank fizzy pop. Which, for  a Yorkshireman, rates as an
insult.

Anyone who remembers the old Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch
will know exactly the sort of thing the Mekon (I can't actually remember
his name) was getting into. "When I were a lad..." (Oh yes I can,
William Hague. Not the most memorable of politicians)

Ken