CDR: Re: stego for the censored

Steve Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Thu Oct 5 06:32:35 PDT 2000

Tom Vogt wrote:

> I'm currently looking for a way to get encrypted data via stego to
> people who live in countries where crypto is illegal, and who may be
> watched. so just sending them a large graphic would likely arouse
> suspicion.
>
> the 2 best solutions I've come up with so far are porn and spam. both
> are readily believable, even in large quantities.
> the problem with porn is that it may be illegal in itself in the same
> countries. the problem with spam is that ascii text just doesn't offer
> much to hide stego in (whitespacing, etc. is both easy to find and can
> store very little data).

Spam seems the best best.

Sometimes you get the same spam message multiple times, each message
identical except for the munged return address. You can use that address
to encode a few bytes per message. Send the same message ten times and
you have enough of a channel for a short message. Maybe you could boost
the information per message by doing the same trick with a header line.

--
Steve Furlong, Computer Condottiere     Have GNU, will travel
   518-374-4720     sfurlong at acmenet.net