CDR: Re: Fwd: Re: Niiice kitty....

James A.. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Oct 5 01:11:23 PDT 2000

     --
 >This is a calumny. I have personally checked hundreds, and I do mean
 > hundreds--probably over 500--Chomsky citations to original texts and
 > documents, and have never found any error that was not an obvious
 > typographical error, a misprint or something like that.

It would take you years to check five hundred Chomsky citations.  His
citations are at best obscure and hard to find, at worst impossible to find.

Almost every Chomsky citation that I have checked was at best somewhat
misleading, and at worst a lie.

Chomsky's citations are usually false in one of three ways, sometimes false
in all three ways at the same time.

1.  Chomsky misrepresents the authority of the sources.  For example
in  "Distortions at fourth hand" quoted in full in
<http://www.jim.com/jamesd/chomsdis.htm> he represented Hildebrand and
Porter as an independent review of evidence from impartial sources, whereas
in fact they were merely mouthpieces of the Khmer Rouge.  He represented
Ponchaud as merely the mouthpiece of US imperialism, while in fact Ponchaud
had interviewed hundreds of refugees, and collected hundreds of first hand
accounts of Khmer Rouge terror.

2.  Chomsky misrepresents the content of the sources:  For example Chomsky
represented the testimony of murder, torture,and terror collected by
Ponchaud as second hand, when in fact it was first hand.

3. Chomsky claims sources that just cannot be found.  In particular the
article "Distortions at fourth hand" first leads up to the purported
citation of "repeated discoveries that the massacre reports were false",
and then proceeds to draw all sorts of conclusions from the alleged falsity
of these massacre reports.  Without this alleged citation, his article,
appearing a few months after the photos of the massacres north of
Aranyaprathet had horrified the world, would have sounded like the banal
totalitarian propaganda that is, would have sounded no different from the
vast pile of totalitarian propaganda that had become so painfully familiar
throughout the twentieth century.  This alleged citation is the very key
and center of the whole article, and no one can find it.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      FPdykYK0P9Z3AdZh1bYxf6jZLGkO8dWr4JrqFPRz
      4/zYVs4LADvz0S920cVAl2OSu3k/RRIrZM0+o3UFI