CDR: Re: Spam free secure email accounts.

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Oct 4 07:52:58 PDT 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Tom Vogt wrote:

>same problem here: how do you find out whether or not a message is
>encrypted?

Plaintext looks like plaintext.  This isn't even a "real" problem,
once you look at the text produced by, eg, PGP, GPG, and whatever
else you allow on the system.

You don't even have to have a human look at it; a simple program
to count character distributions, character contacts, and line
lengths can identify something as being the legitimate output of
PGP, or whatever encryption program, with a margin of error so
flat it's only theoretical.

It would need to make a "profile" for PGP, another one for GPG,
etc -- then look at incoming messages to see if they match the
profile.

I mean, yeah, people could theoretically get stuff past it,
or it could theoretically bounce encrypted messages --  but
people can also theoretically guess a 128-bit encryption key
on the first try, and I wouldn't expect that to happen.

				Ray