CDR: RE: Anonymous Remailers cpunk

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Tue Oct 3 14:25:26 PDT 2000

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Trei, Peter wrote:

> I would like to suggest that a remailer could eliminate nearly all it's
> problems by only sending out encrypted mails - that is, if after
> removing the encryption that was applied using it's own private
> key, it finds that the result is plaintext, it simply drops the message.

And just exactly what algorithm is that you're using to determine
crypt-v-plaintext?

Ain't no such beast and won't be until somebody comes up with nearly
infallible translation technology. We're closer to quantum computers and
making the whole thing moot than we are to having near-flawless
translation technology.

If a bullfrog had wings, it wouldn't bump its butt when it jumped.

And let's not forget the key managment problem if remailers impliment such
a policy. Without a secure key management scheme then the 'encrypted body'
approach won't work because Mallet has the keys.

Key management and a billing model are what is required to make anonymous
remailers work.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com