CDR: Re: one time pad and random num gen

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Oct 3 08:38:26 PDT 2000

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Kevin Elliott wrote:

>cryptographically strong PRNG would then be a PRNG with a very large
>period and some way of reinjecting randomness to guarantee the device
>never begins to recycle.
>--

Isn't that a misnomer though?  If randomness is reinjected to
prevent the system from falling into a period, then it won't
be possible to generate the same sequence of bits twice -- so
you can't use such a system for a PSEUDO-random generator, in
applications like a stream cipher or whatever.  Programs rely
on the same sequence coming out of the same initial state with
a PRNG -- otherwise things like stream ciphers can't be decrypted.

What you describe above, I'd have termed an RNG - not a PRNG.

				Bear