CDR: Re: Anonymous Remailers

Ryan McBride mcbride at countersiege.com
Tue Oct 3 07:08:53 PDT 2000

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, dmolnar wrote:

> > but why would there be a continuing expense in this area?
>
> People will use your remailer to send spam and death threats. <snipage>
> The recipients will contact you and your ISP. Repeatedly.

One of the ways to mitigate this risk is to set up your remailer in
middleman mode (at least in 2.9beta23). To quote from the installer:

     Mixmaster can be installed in the low-maintenance
     `middleman' mode. In that mode, it will send mail to
     other remailers only, to avoid complaints about
     anonymous messages.

Obviously this isn't a perfect solution, but it helps somewhat. It's what
I'm planning on doing until I can familiarize myself with the legal
ramifications of running an "open" remailer.

-Ryan

Ryan McBride - mcbride at countersiege.com
Systems Security Consultant
Countersiege Systems Corporation - http://www.countersiege.com